View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
Soetekouw

Britus,

One thing you have to learn about these forums is that mostly people who have problems with their vehicles, post. That leaves the other 90% + as happy car owners, with no problems. Porsche, like any other car, are fairly reliable. You have owners here with 100K+ miles on their vehicles, and as a large percentage, have probably not changed out their IMS. Of course, you could be one of the unlucky ones, and it could happen to you (but I wouldn't constantly live in fear just because of that small 'maybe' that it could happen - and I sure wouldn't spent any money for something that ain't broke, yet).

I joined this forum in 2006 (just several months prior to me buying my 2007 Boxster S). After the car was delivered, I read this forum daily AND it scared the hell out of me. Folks were talking about IMS and RMS failures; others were talking about water pump failures; and so on. I was afraid to take my car very far outside of the city limits for fear it would blow up and leave me stranded. Since the car is my daily driver, I almost traded it in for a more 'dependable' Japanese vehicle. Well, 6-years and 64,000miles later, I still have my car, and have not had any repair problems with it (well, actually, I had a rattle in my door and the cupholder broke). This car is dependable. But, before buying (any used vehicle), have an inspection done at the local dealership. And, after you buy the car, just peform you regular maintenance services. Enjoy.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote