View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
most PCA people won't mind a Boxster as they'll think it's almost a 911.

the 924-944-928 guys are the ones they look down on...
I think if you randomly pulled a part off a 986 odds are the part is more likely to start with 996 than 986. LOL. I mean it's basically a 1999-2001 Carrera roadster edition with the engine in the correct spot. Any other brand wouldn't have bothered to come up with a different name or a different engine. They would have simply dropped in the base engine for the coupe and offered the S engine as the M roadster version or something. They certainly would not have gone to the trouble of engineering a completely new engine that was intentionally less powerful at a time when the company was an hour away for filing for bankruptcy. The danger was that if the mid-engine Carrea roadster turned out to be quickest Carrera (GT's and Turbos aside) right out of the box then it would have been embarassing after all that rear engine tinkering and tweaking.

Most people who look down on the Boxster are not aware that 996 Carrera and Boxster were designed simultaneoulsy as one car from the seats forward. However, since prospective buyers were putting down deposits on the Boxster some 4 years before the first model rolled off the assembly line Porsche had no choice but to unveil the finished Boxster 2 years (3 in Europe) before the new 996 Carrera that replaced the 993. They needed the cash ASAP. This really got under the skin of the Carrera worshipers. "I'm getting the old thing that guys who spent less already have?!!" Porsche had to tell them sorry, we weren't selling enough of those 993's that you love so much. The bean counters wouldn't even give the 911 worshipers a new headlight design, they got the same as the Boxster. The compromise was to offer them a slightly different front bumper.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-14-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote