View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
tcallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I was surprised to read this in Excellence magazine, April, 2013, page 28, in a list of the Top 10 things to do to promote IMS bearing health;

"10. The last, but single most important thing you can do is to remove the gearbox, clutch and flywheel, including the IMS bearing, and remove the IMS bearing outer seal to allow splash lubrication (engine oil) to reach the bearing."

This is from the experts at Excellence. Comments?
Thstone,

I do not have my Excellence article directly in front of me for reference, but I believe I was speaking about the M97 engine with the larger diameter IMS bearing. As for the M97 engine, its IMS bearing cannot be replaced without complete dis-assembly of the engine, having said that, I feel that removing the outer seal of the IMS bearing is the best thing that one could do to temporarily lengthen its life, so AT LEAST it can get splash lubrication. We have removed the outer seal on many M97 IMS bearings, on automobiles with mileage well below 30k miles and all have had substantial engine oil contamination.

Yes, I do recommend switching to a boutique type of engine oil, instead of Mobil-1, because I feel that elevated levels of ZDDP is critical to most any engines health.

Tony Callas
Callas Rennsport
tcallas is offline   Reply With Quote