View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
southernstar

Altlhough I live in the Great White North, my 2000 has never been winter driven (corroborated by mileage post end of season and next season oil changes/dates) and has been once again off the road since mid November. Do I get the urge to drive it? Absoutely, but even if the roads are dry there is still dried salt residue that I do not want accumulating under the car. In a winter like last year, with weeks at a time without snow and salt, I will take the car out for nice run. Otherwise, it remains parked.

As to the suggestion that salt is not a problem, I disagree completely. Yes, the entire shell was galvanized prior to painting; nevertheless, various bolts and components on the car will corrode with access to salt and dampness and even unanodized aluminum will corrode in such a corrosive environment. Forget about snow, consider that even cars that are in the Caribbean and kept close to the sea tend to corrode due to the salt air.

Can a Porshce be driven safely in the snow? With proper tires and assuming the snow is not too deep, absolutely. However, there will be an impact on the condition of your car.

Brad

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote