View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Perfectlap

Wait until you autocross the Boxster. Particularly on sticky tires. A tin top BMW with the engine in the wrong place is not anywhere near the same on handling.
My opinion of the Boxster before autocross was completely different after. You simply will never lay into the brakes and toss the car in the same way on a public road.

taking all the weight off the front end and putting it in the center really is the magic formula for excellent steering wheel feedback and 'point and squirt' cornering.
It's basically why I ended up keeping the car for nearly 10 years even though the plan was to keep it for only 3. It checks all the boxes for a roadster experience.
However relative to older Porsches, this and all the new stuff feels numb and disconnected. The quicker the cars get, the more "liveable" the suspensions get, the less feedback you're getting from the car and the less you fully appreciate the speed as it gets insular. However, my Boxster never left a puddle of some random fluid in the drive way like so many older Carreras and 944s and such. I guess its a trade off... but the 986 seems like its in a good middle spot....still with hydraulic steering and all..
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-27-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote