View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #17
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Piech may like driving around in Frankenstein cars, but a $350,000 Porsche will share nothing with the Cayman..
May not be entirely true. VW's plans are nothing like Porsche's used to be. For midengine cars the plan is to have have modular platform sharing across all its brands with downsized versions going to the Cayman and the mini Boxster. Makes total sense, financially speaking, why leave the cost benefit of new development on the table? VW want to move cars, they don't care about the out-dated Carrera worship that prevented anything great from being used in the "entry level" aka midengine cars with the only exception being the sole supercar offering. Now that VW is firmly in charge I think we might see the old Porsche bias against anything that isn't rear engine go right out the window in favor of whatever can sell. The fact that Panamera and Cayenne will be outselling Carrera for the foreseeable future opens the door to rethinking the whole strategy on its actual sports cars.

Also, a boxer eight in a Cayman sounds to me like the guy is not afraid to say "let's see what these midengine can really handle....enough with the hypotheticals, let's do it". That would never have happened in the olden days...probably afraid of what N-ring laptime a big engine Cayman/Boxster could whip up. And I'm sure he knows it's the ultimate FU to the old Porsche guard.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-24-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote