View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
mountainman

Garage
doing your own service or going to dealer

Just finished replacing a faulty windshield washer pump on the 04 boxster S and I realized that I not only save a considerable amount of money by doing most of my own routine maintenance, but I actually enjoy it. The washer pump took a total of about an hour and a quarter which I am sure a dealer would have stretched to 2 hours. The pump itself I got new on the internet for $15 shipping and all and the dealer wants over $50 for the exact same brand part. Simply said, I did a $250 job for $15 and a bit over an hour of my time and It was not at all technical and something anyone could do. I am retired now, but I don't ever recall making close to $200 an hour when I was working.
If the high cost of Porsche maintenance turns you off, try doing much of it yourself. Not only is it economical, but you will learn a lot about your car that will be beneficial to you in driving and maintaining it in the future.
Other than internal engine and transmission work, these cars are not that hard to work on and with the wealth of information on this forum and others like pelican you may be surprised what you can do yourself.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote