View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
thom4782

Meir:

From my reading of your question, the dashboard gauge and dipstick read the same. That's good because if means you don't have a calibration problem with the dashboard gauge.

There are a lot of opinions out there on what's the best way to check the oil level. From the reading I've done, there are two ways that are reasonably reliable. Both require that the car be on level ground.

Method 1: Check the level with the dash gauge or dipstick with the engine cold.

Method 2: If the engine has just been running, wait 10 minutes or longer to give the oil a chance to drain back into the sump. Then check with the dipstick. The dash gauge may or may not provide a reading. On mine, the dash guage won't take a reading immediately after the engine runs because it's waiting for the oil to drain into the sump.

I don't know why 9.25 liters isn't sufficient to show the oil as full. I'd guess it may be some of oil is in the oil cooler and its lines but I'm not sure. I'd only expect this to happen if you've run the engine after the initial fill. But it's just a guess. I don't think the IMSB and RMS replacement would cause the engine oil to take more oil at the initial fill.

Thom
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote