Thread: Dumb Question
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Porsche Chick

Dumb Question

I'm new and have a weird question. It sounded stupid to the dealer, and it might sound stupid here, but here goes; when I first picked up my Boxster, the engine was VERY quiet. Even with the top down, it was pretty subdued. During the test drive, I kept saying "I don't hear the engine at all." I believe it sat on the dealer's lot for over 2 months, with only the occasional test drive. Then I took it home and started driving it, in a fairly "sporty" way. And the engine started to get louder. And louder. Now it's pretty loud at start up, and it seems to idle a little rough. Not missing or back firing, just the revs don't sound 100% consistent. Louder when running as well.

It has 24,000 miles on it, and it has the PDK (which is awesome, BTW) which has "adapted" to my driving style and revs higher (4,000 to 6,000 rpm) before shifting than it originally did (2,000 to 4,000 rpm).

Would that explain why it's idling rougher? And the whole engine is louder. Dealer thinks I'm nuts.