View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Parrot356

Garage
I currently own a 2011 335xi (and a '08 535 for that matter) and prior had a 2008 335xi. The 2008 was plagued by issues, but my 2011 has been great for the last 40,000 miles. BMW has had it's issues with some major items that frankly they shouldn't have had, but they have remedied the vast majority of them and if you find a well maintained one (that has't gone 15-18K miles between oil changes as BWM 'Free' maintenance recommends) then those issues should have been taken care of - HPFP and injectors were recalled and now have a 120K mile warranty. Turbo waste gates (rattles) are warrantied until 80K miles now I believe, etc. Brake grab is more a function of the brake pad compound and can be modulated.

The care themselves are a differnt driving experience to the Boxter to sure because they are two differnt care designed for differnt purposes. Compare the two side by side and you can see why - weight, driving position, engine placement etc. all make a major difference. I always thought my 335 was a small car until I parked it next to my Boxster. The 2011 with it's N55 motor (single turbo, dual vane) versus the N54 (TT in the older cars) builds boost more consistantly than the older motor but does so with more torque and is a better DD motor. The N54 on the other hand can be tuned inexpensively and can be a beast if that is what you are looking for.

I guess what I am saying is the 335 has a bad rap, but not all of it is deserved anymore. They are fun cars, but they are not a Boxster either. I love my Boxster, but I also love the rush of the turbo kicking in in my 335 (especially since I am at 5,000 above SL - I still get all 300 horses)...

Last edited by Parrot356; 01-10-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Parrot356 is offline   Reply With Quote