Thread: Rear main seal
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #12
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
Its amazing to me that there is no fix for the problem and RMS replacement is considered "maintenance". Perhaps its an engineering design to improve dealership service ops profitability.

I read on another site that replacing the Boxster RMS with the Cayenne RMS may be a good fix but I got the sense that this was still not clear. Does anyone know of this?
Hi,

The Jury is still out on the Cayenne RMS. This is because the issue is not the seal itself, but rather that the Blocks are cast without a subsequent machining to Center-Bore the Crank Opening. This results in somewhat varying tolerances, the extreme of which cause the crank to rub disproportionately on one side of the seal leading to it's premature failure.

To me, it's unconscionable that a company with the reputation Porsche has gained would go nearly a decade without fixing the issue. Instead they have chosen to take the Risk Management approach and apply Band-Aids on a Case-by-Case basis. Words cannot describe my disappointment with this situation.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Boxster. But this single perrenial flaw would prevent me from Wholeheartedly recommending it to anyone, especially if buying a previously owned Boxster. There are just too many other Great Cars out there to risk buying into these kinds of troubles. I'm not even certain I would do it again... and I have a good RMS (Knock on Wood)...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-14-2005 at 09:34 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote