View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
More

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
My car is an 01 with 54k miles currently. Clutch is still pretty good, so I want to wait until sometime next year to do the IMS upgrade and clutch. I guess it is sort of a small gamble, hopefully no IMS issues pop up.

Basically, over the next year and few thousand miles, this is what I have to do for my car:

IMS upgrade and clutch: $2000
60k Service - $800
Pads and rotors: $1300
Fix rear plastic window: $500
Alignment/tire balance: $300

So that seems almost about $5k to get the car in tip top maintenance and almost brand new.

It's probably worth about $12-13k, so that's $18k in value I could use towards a newer car - but I'm not sure.

Since it's my third car, I want to keep it reasonable too, and not spend a fortune - but I want something reliable that won't give me too many issues.

Basically 2009.5 + is a safe bet, and they are near $30k now, probably upper 20's by the end of the year, which is not bad. a 2006 or so can be had for low $20's, but then I still have the risk of there being an IMS issue, even if it's more remote.

Aside from that maintenance, my car is mint - really good condition in and out, so it does feel good to keep it. It's basically my starter Porsche, and I planned to trade it up as I learned manual better and got a feel for it. (My other car is a BMW 335i and a Toyota Plugin Prius I use for work)
$1300 on Pads on Rotors seems to be a lot of money.
I am in the process of changing my pads and rotors and it's only costing me a $140 for front and rear rotors A great deal I found on ebay and I picked up front and rear brake pads for less than a $100.