View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
AKnowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Are you going to place the subs using the OEM box ?
No. I'm going to buy some MurderMat, Dyanamat, or AT Sound Deadener and line the interior directly behind the speaker location. Then build a plate to replace the OEM speaker box. There is a template online for it. The speakers I bought are Kicker CVT651 and are the 1 ohm model. I'm going to wire them in series at the amp to provide a 2 ohm load.

Depending on time, money, and feasability, I may follow some other soud deadening advice and fill the rest of the door holes with aluminum sheet with a final outer coating of sound deadener. If I do, I'm going to replace the grey plastic water barrier with it. I need to make sure that the sound deader is not too thick so I can still attach the inner door skin without issue.

I really wanted to get up the carpet and line the entire bottom and rear with sound deadener. Mostly because I have gear whine from the transmission and it is annoying at speed. On second thought though, maybe I should just check around a bit more to see if the gear whine is normal for 67K miles. Has been in other cars I've owned so I didn't think to much about it, but I could be wrong on this car. Maybe I'd be better of spending some cash on transmission.

PS: My RX7 had Rockford Fosgate amps, Infinity seperates (51/4 in door & 6 1/2 in rear shock tower), and Bazooka 6 1/2 subwoofers in the rear. The sound was amazing. I never minded being in traffic when I could just listen to the music! I almost bought them again this time around, but wanted better SQ and no alternator whine. So went with the Helix B Five. With no add-on noise reducers I get clean sound from this system. No thump on amp turn on either. Unlike my previous Rockford Fosgate. When you see them at CES you can tell them one of the main reasons I didn't buy this time was their 1% THD. I know, 1% THD is supposed to be unhearable, but I look for it anyway. Also, form what I understand RF bought Fisher which owns Helix, which makes my amp anyway.

Last edited by AKnowles; 12-30-2012 at 06:30 PM.
AKnowles is offline   Reply With Quote