View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
RandallNeighbour

and for my 2¢ worth...

Save up and buy the newest Boxster you can buy, and buy an S. Don't buy an old 986. The build quality sucked compared to the 987s and you will spend just as much on a 1999 or 2000 base model after purchase and repairs in four years as you would waiting four years and buying a much newer model with low miles on it and the larger motor.

... not to mention the hassles of repairs, telling your wife the car is in need of repair AGAIN, etc.

And last, your old 986 is not going to keep its value with all your hard work on repairs. It will depreciate exactly the way it would have if you didn't put a dime into it.

I love my car because I've replaced every friggin' part on it except the sheet metal and the motor (previous owner replaced the motor or I would have been forced to do that too) and now it's a solid daily driver that only needs a grand or so a year to keep on the road (brakes, tires, fluids, and the odd suspension bit or crappy plastic Porsche motor piece that falls apart).

I was a complete idiot to think I could buy a cheap Porsche and drive it long term without sinking a small fortune into it.

"The cheapest Porsche you find and buy will instantly become the most expensive car you've ever owned... until you trade it in on a Ferrari."

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-28-2012 at 05:47 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote