View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
shadrach74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
I believe the 09 they did away with the IMS, now add a TIP and you should have a Porsche good for a very long time. But, if you like shifting, you can start putting away what it will cost you to replace in the future...about $2-3 grand.:dance:
Starting to replace what? Clutch, transmission? I've owned many cars in my 19 years of driving. The only trannies that I've ever needed to rebuild we're autos. While slush boxes have gotten much better over the years, I still see them as time bombs, especially the manumatics... I'm not saying they won't last a long while (my GS400 has 210k on the original tranny, but a Porsche is no Lexus in terms of build quality, few cars are). A well cared for manual should last as long as the engine with the primary wear parts (clutch, FW and associated bits) being easily changed. The primary wear parts in an real auto tranny are not serviceable until rebuild. PDK is a "whole 'nother" subject as it's actually a manual with automated shifting, not the other way around.

Friends don't let friends buy sports cars with torque converters! .
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote