Thread: BRZ vs. Boxster
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
johnsimion

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
It seems like every BRZ(new toyota and Scion sports car) review you see compares them to a Boxster or a Caymen since used they are about the same price and add the fact that they all have boxer engines I guess people are even more inclined to compare. Seems like an odd comparison but I'm told that they stack up pretty well. The responsible side of me has been telling me to sell the Box and buy a BRZ (it has a warranty great gas milage I'm almost 30, the girls the box is attracting are all going to kill me etc). Anyways I finally drove one today and I can assure you there is no comparison. Toyota vs. Porsche, I don't know what I was thinking. The chassis on the BRZ is great, maybe the stiffest production car I've ever driven and the seating position was perfect. The motor was hands down the worst thing I've ever heard and even for me at 28 it has far to much racer flare on it. Like the red bolsters on the seats that you can't option off, or the steering wheel. I'm driving a Corvette tomorrow to see how that stacks up but I doubt I'll be replacing the boxster anytime soon.
For outright driving pleasure, my son's retractable hardtop Miata is way more fun than my Cayman. I just don't "get" the obsession with HP. Sure, my base Cayman is probably twice the car on a racetrack, but it does me no good on the streets and freeways. I cannot accelerate past the first three gears without breaking the speed limit, and there are cops everywhere here. What am I going to do, drag race some teenager in a Mustang GT? Fat chance of that! Not so with the Miata ... so much more "flingable" and feels like driving a go-kart. Also has a sterling rep for reliability and can be serviced without paying an arm and a leg. Then he has that retractable hardtop and that is just great here, so you can have a convertible in summer and the cinders and salt don't ruin your ragtop in the winter. Unfortunately I just can't fit behind the wheel of the Miata no matter how I try.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote