View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
Topless
Track rat

Garage
As a data point I chose to do clutch/IMS at 96K miles when my trans had to be replaced due to a failed pinion bearing. The 1st gen IMS bearing still had both seals intact and there was no visible rust, corrosion or play in the bearing at all. The clutch plate was just off the rivets and the FW was far out of spec. All were replaced. A Boxster will still run with an out-of-spec flywheel but it will never feel right. I have never overheated this car, it has short oil change intervals, and I live in a very low humidity environment which all contribute to IMS longevity as we understand it.

I do plan to keep the car because she is a known entity and I don't suffer from a bad case of "the wants". To me it is a lot more than simple dollars and cents. If it were only about dollars and cents none of us would be driving a Porsche. This is my weekend toy, joy ride, and track rat. I spend far more on tires each year than a clutch/IMS job. It was a no-brainer for me to get it done while we were already in there.