View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
pothole

The 90% of the way there argument doesn't hold.

Doing the clutch is going to be £400 + VAT @ 20% (£480). That's at one of the most competitively priced of the well known Porsche independents in the UK.

The same place with do the clutch and LN Eng bearing upgrade for £1,249 + VAT (£1,499). So it's an extra £1,000 to do the bearing. Don't think I'll get the same work done much cheaper elsewhere.

Whether some of the labour is shared is neither here nor there. It adds £1,000 on top of £480. It's a lot more money.

Incidentally, this place charges £999+VAT for just the bearing, so it's really only £150 you save having both done at the same time.

I'm not crazy about the Pelican / standard factory bearing. Given that bearings are known to fail at very low miles, the question is how confident are you the new bearing will last longer than mine, which can't be one of the really bad ones as it's already done 112k miles...

Is it more likely a new standard bearing will hit 50k miles than my existing bearing does another 50k? Not sure - certainly not sure enough to justify throwing a lot of money at it.

The LN bearing appears to be an "upgrade", but it's very expensive. For an extra £500 or less, I'd probably do it. For £1,000, it's getting very uncomfortable.