View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
greenheckler

I heard a "thud" behind me...

A few minutes into my Sunday morning drive doing about 68 mph, I hear a "pop" or a "thud" behind the firewall. My first thought was oh crap and I was right. The "battery" light lit up on the dash and then 5 minutes later the abs light lit up. I then proceeded to head home keeping the speed at about 60 mph. Luckily I was only a couple of miles from home, but I noticed the temp gauge creep up and my power steering was slowly going away.

I pulled into my garage and removed the firewall. See photos. My waterpump pulley fell off and lodge itself right under the spindle thus throwing off any possibility that the serpentine belt could do its job.

My 2001 has 91K miles and the waterpump was on my next diy for the new year.

Questions:

1. The temp needle did hit the 250 degree mark for at least 1-2 minutes. Besides the water pump replacement, should I check anything else?

2. Do I have to use a genuine Porsche water pump or can I get an OEM substitute?

3. Is this a good time to install a low temp thermostat? I read somewhere that it might boost horsepower.

Obviously I can't drive it until it is fixed. This will be my biggest project on this car thus far so I am a bit nervous.

Thank you all. I live in Southern California so if you happen to be in the area and itching to lend a hand please let me know!