View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
billj18

Garage
This is my first post, and I have useful information (I hope) rather than a question!
I purchased a 2001 Base, black on black, back in March. After reading the warnings on the forums, one of my first projects was to clean the radiators. I removed the front bumper, and sure enough, tons of crud in front of and between the radiator and condenser.
While I had it apart, I wanted to paint the weathered gray grilles, and add a mesh to protect the radiators in the future. It's easy to do when you have the grilles out, but I think you could do it with them in the bumper, but you still need to remove the bumper to install the mesh behind the grilles.
I used the aluminum mesh gutter guard from the home center. One 3' piece will do both grilles. With the grilles on the workbench, I lined the mesh up with the inner top edge, and began rough-trimming the mesh to shape with snips. You can leave overhang in some areas, others need to be trimmed close to clear the retaining clips. Through trial-and-error, I had both mesh inserts ready in 20-30 minutes. Don't forget to cut a small hole in the right grille for the temperature sensor. I also painted the mesh with Rustoleum Satin Black spray, the same as I used on the grilles. I fastened the mesh to the back of the grilles using black electrical zip-ties. I tied the mesh to the vertical posts, below the horizontal vanes. From the normal viewing position, the ties are hidden. I also drilled a 1/8-inch hole in the right and left side of the grille to fasten the ends. This will all be clear when you have the bumper off, and can view the grilles from behind.

Hope this helps.

Bill
billj18 is offline   Reply With Quote