View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Perfectlap

Did you have pre purchase inspection done? This is the only real way to determine whether you got a good price or not. The best thing for a seller is for the buyer not to do the PPI because then the asking price automatically defaults to the market price for that car's year/mileage/options. Even if there's a slight discount to the asking price it still may not be a good price because of repairs that will be needed that aren't factored into the sale price.

Put it this way, I had my car looked over before I began major maintenance at around 70K miles. First by the dealer and then by my indy mechanic who is about as experienced on all things Porsche as you will find. Also fixes Rolls Royce and Bentley and many track cars.
Of the $12K in work that was needed I'd say well over half were things that would not have been caught by a simple visual inspection. Things such as known weakpoints (AOS, coolant tank, water pump), things that are hard to see without a tear down burnt flywheel, torn axle boots, control arms shot and not just a case of worn shocks. And other parts that just go after nearly ten years of winter driving (cat$, starter, alternator, MAF/O2's). Now toss in rotors,pads, tires, etc. as typical wear and tare that can run an easy $1500. All before addressing cosmetics like body work and soft top repair which if done properly are expensive too.

point is you have to figure out all the likely repairs and add to that the unexpected stuff that most should budget for. The asking price for a typical Porsche is extremely misleading. Cost of entry is not the only thing you'll be paying. You could have a couple of back to back repairs that run an easy 35% of the car's selling price and it wouldn't be unheard of. Neither would it be the end of the to do list. Do the PPI and use it to negotiate a price reduction or simply know what you're getting into. Just like a house buyer does.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-14-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote