View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
mountainman

Garage
flat fix versus spare tire

Just returned from a few days in the mountains of west virginia where we did considerable high speed driving on some great roads. We took the 08 boxster S which as those of you that own one know, has no spare tire, but instead comes with a bottle of porsche flat fix. In the middle of nowhere, some 40 miles from the nearest small town that might have had a tire store the tire pressure monitoring system announced that a rear tire was going flat. Stopped and found a very large jagged hole that would have laughed at flat fix.
Luckily, since I have never been a fan of flat fix, I had replaced it with an actual spare tire which I put on and we drove the better part of 60 miles to a fairly good size town that had a couple of pretty good size tire stores. Was told by both of them " we ain't got no cars up here that use that size tire, but we could maybe order one and have it sometime next week".
After many calls and no other options, We were forced to drive the over 300 miles home on the little 5 inch spare tire. I really was not sure it would do that kind of milage and I am sure it was not designed to, but it made it with no problems and is not terribly worn.
Long story to say that if you are taking long trips with just the bottle of flat fix, you may want to reevaluate. Without the spare I would still be in west nowhere west virginia waiting for AAA to locate me.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote