Thread: 987 Amberectomy
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
eslai

987 Amberectomy

So one might look at the title of this thread and go, "Uh...doesn't the 987 already have clear lights?" One would be correct, there's not much amber on a 987.

You could just do the OEM clear corners for about thirty bucks and call it a day.

But, since no one in the aftermarket is giving me anything FUN to mess with on the car, I must resort to fulfilling my car modding desire in safe, arguably ricey ways. Time to get rid of the amber BULBS, like a sixteen year old would with his Honda (although nowadays, colored LED bulb replacements are all the rage I'm told).

I'm sure none of this is news to anyone, but there are silver bulbs you can get out there that will still light up amber.

The replacement bulbs are from Stealth Auto. I picked them up from Group 5 Motorsports in San Diego, but you can buy them online as well.

Silvervision is another type out there, but from what I hear they are only available in Europe and the bulbs may be keyed for European receptacles, meaning they might not fit in the US sockets without slight modification.

Here's the taillight array. Can you spot the difference?

Taillight before and after:

Side marker before and after:

I didn't do the front turn signal yet, as it's a bit more than a five minute job since you have to remove the headlamp assembly to change the bulbs. Another night. Actually, I might not bother since the front turn signals are fairly recessed and not all that noticeable.

Now, the one concern I have with this mod is that yes, the lights aren't as bright as they used to be. Have a look:

Here's a small, highly-compressed video I took of the rears blinking. Driver side is the original bulb, obviously.

They're plenty visible at night, but I'll have to see how they look during the day. I'll take pictures and post them as soon as I do.

Ah, boredom...
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote