View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #67
mikehkang

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987 View Post
Last post. We need to get away from the notion that because you have health insurance, that all your medical care is covered. No, medical insurance is like car insurance - you buy how much coverage you want, based on how much you can afford. Yes, wealthier people can afford better care. And unhealthy people, like lousy drivers, are going to pay more.

Tort reform. Yes, mistakes and incompetence exist, but there are a large amount of nuisance suits.

Free medical care for illegal aliens/prisoners. Drastically reduced. I read about a recent case where a prisoner was granted a sex change operation!

I'm not an expert. I really recommend Sally Pipes book. It's a good start.
Last post here too.

I will try Sally Pipes's book. I recommend to you either watch "Sicko" or read Robert Reich's Beyond Outrage. If you watch Sicko, you would understand that my concern prior to the Obamacare is not the extend of insured medical coverage but the insurance company's abliity to DROP you once you become sick.

I am taking chances with IMS, but I am NOT taking the chance that some huge medical bill will ruin me. With the Obamacare, there will be NO chance of medical bankrupcy in my future - without it, there certainly was. Just watch the movie if you haven't yet then you will know what I mean.

Tort reform - I completely agreed with you. We need it bad.

"Free medical care for illegal aliens/prisoners." Tax payer paid sex change is crazy. However, illegal aliens and prisoners, I don't know. I know some illegals. There are contributing members of our society. If someone came to US yesterday and needed a heart transplant, than that is different, for me, than someone who has been here for last 20 years needing one. As for the prisoners, if you are on death row, NOTHING for you. But if you are serving time for selling pot and doing 5 years, I don't know. Where is the line of demarcation, I don't know.

Something I learned on 3% admin cost.
First the critism:
"The IRS collects the taxes that fund the program; Social Security collects many of the premiums paid by beneficiaries;"
Now the counter argument:
"It seems plausible to me that the marginal cost of Medicare’s piggybacking on IRS tax collections and Social Security’s operations is close to zero. That the program can leverage existing federal infrastructure, which would exist in essentially the same form even if Medicare didn’t, is a feature not a bug. It’s what you’d expect from an efficient government, not an inefficient one."

You can read more about it here. A few remarks on Medicare’s administrative cost | The Incidental Economist
I still need to study more but above is a start.

BTW, pot should be legalized and regulated like alcohol. (disclaimer: I personally never even smoked a cigarette in my life let alone smoke pot. Pot usage should be a personal choice.)

Nice exchanging thoughts with you, brp987.
Thanks for being nice.

Mike

Last edited by mikehkang; 11-18-2012 at 04:42 PM.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote