View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
sweeper

Garage
Another Camshaft devation question

A few questions for the experts about camshaft deviation- I have been through all the forums and found some great information, but none that pins down my specific problem/concern/question.

Car details: 1997 Boxster base- 21,000k miles- 5 speed.
I purchased the car about a month ago and love it! Like a good Boxster/Porsche owner I bought a Durametric, changed the oil and inspected the filter (dealer changed September 2011- with ~ 18500) No metal found on either side-(one tiny sludge looking thing) other than that clean. De-snorked and that’s it for now.

Plugged in the Durametric- No codes –and everything checked out great- Checked the camshaft deviation at idle after 5 minutes of warm up.
Cam 1- 0
Cam2- -9
This concerned me immediately, because I expected some major movement upon driving. I took the car out for about a 5 mile drive while attached. I kept the RPM and both cams open during the drive to ensure I was getting a good reading.
Nothing changed the entire time- no deviation from either side?

The car seems to run great- good acceleration although it feels like it could give me more (maybe I just want more)

My question:

Do you think I jumped a tooth? Or was it set like this from the factory or from some recent maintenance- Both things I have read in the forum from the Porsche guru’s

Thanks in advance for your input.

sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote