View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #60
BruceH

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
Yesterday I took my daughter on a 150 mile back-roads trip. Up the original WI HWY 57 thru Cedarburg and Saukville up to Plymouth. Ate lunch at a local eatery selected at random, then on the Greenbush for the northernmost end of the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive.

The Drive

There are many better twisties and sights to experience in many other places, but for SE Wisconsin, this is the one of the best. Our Friendly Illinois Brothers have to at least come to WI for the southern route for anything close to this.

Broke off the drive at the turn to Holy Hill, (map 9 on the URL) took a road called "St. Augustine Rd." which turned into "Hogsback Rd." Yes, "Hogsback". Then straight shot to USH 41 and back home. 5 hours with the top down.

Bad:
1) Loose gravel strewn on some corners due to people taking the corners on the shoulder instead of the road.
2) 80 degree September Sunday afternoons bring out minivans and trucks towing horse trailers. Irritating to get stuck behind them with no opportunity to safely pass.

Neutral:
Saw numerous Miatas, Vette and Mustang convertibles, four 60's vintage Triumphs in a group, some Sebring convertibles, even a 4G Firebird convertible and a 930 Whale Tail, but not a single fellow Boxster.

Good:
1) Taking numerous twisties level, uphill, down hill, at 20 MPH over posted turn caution.
2) Finding a few turns posted at 15 or 20 mph that could not be taken at 20 MPH over, and being able to brake through them without loss of control.
3) Five hours of top-down driving on what could be the last warm Sunday of the year in WI.
4) Turning onto a new road and immediately accelerating up a steep hill. After cresting, daughter says, "That felt like being in a jet accelerating at take off from the runway."

Priceless:
1) Actually driving on low-speed back-to-back twisties for first time since my May purchase and drive home through the Sierras.
2) After we got home, my daughter (25 y-o) says, "I thought 5 hours in your car would be too long, become boring and uncomfortable. That was a FUN drive!"

Washed and chamoised the car, used the Meguilar's plastic restore kit on the rear window, drove another 10 miles to the gorcery store 2 miles away for steaks.

Today it rained, but my GB Packers "G" logo license plate screw caps and tire valve stem covers arrived, so I have new accessories installed on my Forest (Packer) Green Boxster. Even my Bears fan neighbor gave me props on them.

DBear
Thanks Dbear(not sure why you have that name as a Packer fan!) I'm originally from the Madison area so your drive brought back some old memories. I took those roads several times. Would love to take my Boxster up to Wisconsin one of these summers. Trouble is, you blink and summer is gone!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote