View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
tony_fury
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Engine Thermostat, Low Temperature (begins opening at 160 deg F)

I'm curious as to why install a lower thermostat when the manufacturer installed a 186 deg F from the factory.
I'm trying to find the benefit gained by lowering the threshold of coolant passing through the motor sooner.
I searched this forum on the topic and did not get the logic of doing it.
The engine runs around 190 deg F with the factory OEM thermostat rated at 186.8 deg F. (Car gauge indication 190 deg F Not being exact here, and yes i understand that reading is after the return from the radiator.)

It would appear to me that a lower thermostat would only cause to motor to take longer to reach operating temperature since it's passing coolant sooner to the motor.
I seen comments as to "I replaced my thermostat to the 160 deg F and my car still runs at the same temperature". Thus not getting the concept of the lower temperature is only opening fully at the lower temperature.
The car is still going to obtain it's normal operating temperature eventually.

I guess my question is the logic as to why change the manufacturers thermostat specifications to a lower temperature?
I'm trying to understand what benefit is gained.
To me, my car seems to run at it's best when the engine reaches it's full operating temperature.

While I seen other aftermarket parts change specifications due to enhancing the performance or better quality component replacement.
Example with the LNE IMS bearing being an improvement over the factory IMS bearing.

I'm not trying to stir up a can of worms, just trying to understand the benefit.
Thanks
T