View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Focusyn

I didn't do the math on your numbers, but I know my 2000 base 5spd gets to the limiter just above 70mph in 2nd gear, and that is because of my 19" rims. According to my owner's manual, the 2000 base and S-models have the same top gear size and final if i'm not mistaken. The S model has about 10mph more top speed at the same RPM, due to the 1" increase from 16" stock rims on the Base to 17" stock rims on the S. Gearing being equal, the larger the wheel diameter, the higher the top end speed but the lower the low-end torque because you have to overcome more inertia.

The Japanese chick cars you mention are, well, all Japanese. They have a tendency to keep things small. How many of those are running 15" rims I wonder? 16"? Try smaller wheels for lower speeds if you haven't already. I'm assuming you have some large ones cause your numbers are like mine rpm:speed wise with 275/40/19 on the rear and 235/35/19 front.

I considered the S2000 pretty seriously once when car shopping, and my biggest dislike after test-driving several is that they seemed to take relatively 'forever' to get in to the power band. Once they get there they fly, but so does your car. Sorry if i'm totally wrong here, again I'm just guessing based on your speed to rpm ratio in 2nd, but if you're rolling on dubs, try some 16's for low speed racing and see what happens...
Focusyn is offline   Reply With Quote