View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #35
speedyturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I wouldn't say you're running too hot. The gauge is not the most accurate device out there, and really the only time you need to be concerned is if you reach or go past the 3rd mark (unlabeled, signifies 215° F), hit the 250° mark, or see a flashing or steady red light above the 250° mark. My car tends to never go back to touching the 180° mark once it passes it, and I find that most of the time I'm somewhere around the 0, either touching one of its edges or sitting in the middle of it. Unless I can get the car out in some clear air (no traffic in front of me) and 50+mph, it'll simply run in that range as I drive around the city or get stuck behind someone on the highway. When I'm cruising on the highway with no one in front and plenty of air getting to the radiators and ducting, the needle can run back down to just slightly to the right of the 180° mark.

I think I can safely assume that your commuting tends to be similar to mine if you're in any sort of urban setting in NJ, so don't worry about how the car's running right now from what you described. Do, however, take the advice I'm sure you've seen in some of your searches and remove the front bumper cover to clean out the ducts for the radiators. They collect all sorts of debris, and this will hamper their performance and eventually lead to corrosion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotoole View Post
That's right about where my needle stays year round. I've driven the car below -10 zero F and lately regularly 100+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
It gets really hot here in Arizona (105+ every day), and if I drive the car in stop-go traffic, it tends to climb to the middle of the 0 of the 180 as well. If traffic gets really bad (backed up highway), the temperatures are able to climb even higher than that. As soon as I'm passed the 3/4th mark, I usually pull over and let the car cool.

I've had several mechanics look at it without being able to find any problem. Coolant level is fine, radiators work, water pump works... It works fine at night when it drops to the low 90's.

Thanks for the reassurance guys was just a little concerned after reading up on it! Glad to know that's pretty standard
speedyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote