View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #18
san rensho

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasr View Post
Thanks for all the answers.

I have no idéa how to dubble clutch, is there any good guide on how to do that? If i have to replace the transmission or repair it, what would that cost?

I usually change from first to second on about 3k to 4k rpm, sometimes when racing its on the redline.

The crunch sound has happened perhaps 5-6 times in a year, but it is always hard to shift 1 to 2, or 3 to 2. No difference if the car is hot or cold.
Double clutching is used on the downshift only. The procedure is roughly as follows: let's say you are in third gear and want to downshift to second. You put the clutch in and go to neutral, let the clutch out, and with the clutch out, blip the throttle to get the RPMs up, then quickly press in the clutch and put it into second gear. It takes a bit of practice but after a while it will be second nature.

When shifting up, from first to second, I get the smoothest shifts using the following procedure: right before I shift, with the clutch still out, I apply slight pressure to the gear shift knob in the direction of second. As I hold the pressure on the gear shift, I push in the clutch and continue to apply the same pressure and the transmission goes seamlessly into second.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000