View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
jb92563

Bought a 2001 S because:

- More power is more fun and I didn't ever want "S" envy so it had to be an "S".
- It was the color I wanted...Black
- Manual 6 speed transmission was a requirement since its a Sport car and I find the shifting part of the fun. Its no big deal in traffic and the shifting helps keep you amused and your muscles moving so you don't get sore.
- There were no leaks of any kind on the underside, engine or ground during the PPI, still true today.
- The owner had detailed records back to the original owner and you could see took good care of the car. Only RMS replaced so far.
- It had only 55K miles
- The 3rd radiator in the S model helps keep things cooler. Excessive heat is the engines enemy.
- Bigger brakes on the S model.
- It was in my price range for a second car $14,500

Did my own PPI, 2 hours at the private sellers house.

Discovered:
- Driver seat recline not operational, but it was in the perfect position so I keep forgetting to investigate the fuse, wiring, switch and seat motor.
- RMS seal has been replaced at a dealership along with a new clutch after 45K.
- Needs new rear tires, got a $500 discount from the seller.

Missed:

- That it did not come with the Wheel lock lug nut key so I will have to find a way to get the 4 locking lug nuts off without a key.
- Wind shield wiper sprayer did not work. Thanks to this forum it took 20 minutes to find and reattach the fluid reservoir hose and add a hose clamp to prevent a future disconnect there.

I think spending a little less so you have $1000 budget to do some catch up maintenance right away and minor fixes is a good idea.
Typically a seller will not do the last maintenance if he knows he is going to sell the car soon.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote