Thread: Buying a Boxter
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Olin

Garage
[QUOTE=Pastor T;298039]Ladies and gentlemen, I am completely new here and so new to Boxters that I don't even own one yet. I am 63 years old and basically want a fun car to run around in, not race.

Pastor Pastor Pastor, It's a BOXSTER, but having severely reprimanded you for that good luck in your search.

I am your vintage and purchased a 2001S some four and a half years ago. Always had WRX's and turbo Liberty's and raced Datsun 510's in another era. I love good cars and the Boxster is a Great car..... pluses include.. if you get away for weekends, you have plenty of storage.

They are beautiful to drive. If you get a good one from the start with an inspection by a good independent from the seller and a reputable Porsche dealer/workshop you should be ok.

There is a lot of talk around the forums regarding the Intermediate Shaft Bearing. (Known as IMS)
If the history does not include it having been upgraded, it is probably a good idea to factor that price into what you end up purchasing. With the new replacement bearing fitted it wont (shouldn't) ever have the problem.

as the early cars get older and get more K's or in your case Miles on the clock, the chances of it failing increase. You may never have a problem, but if it does go then you are normally up for a new motor. No warning and no real rhyme nor reason for it going, lots of thoughts re lack of use and not driving it hard enough, but I don't think anyone really knows for sure. It just means if it hasn't been modified with the new bearing you always feel like you are driving a possible time bomb. That to me is the only major drama they have.

Nothing nicer to have the roof down on a nice day, and listening to that vibrant exhaust as you put your foot down. Being my vintage, put on some Creedence, Eagles, or America turn it up a tad and enjoy yourself.

If you treat it well and keep the services up (they do like good oil so don't scrimp on that) you should be ok.

They tend to be expensive at times for servicing and some parts are dear.

But you will have something that most others don't, but wish they did have.....
A PORSCHE badge on the front.

Good luck with it, and hope to see you posting here in the not too distant future, telling us about your new ride.

P.S. if your finances can afford it go for the S.

Last edited by Olin; 07-18-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: had to remove a couple of double typed words
Olin is offline   Reply With Quote