View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Mrmaddbrad

Garage
Ignition Switch help :(

So when i bought my '02 Boxster S, about 3 months ago, i knew that the ignition switch was going bad. To get all the accessories to work, you had to click the key back one position. And honestly, I didn't mind doing that. It was by no means a big deal.

Today, I put a MAF Sensor in(Which didn't fix my rough idle problem > ) went to start the car again, and the key would not go into the ignition at all. It appeared that some sort of lock-out pin had fallen into place and would not budge. After about 10 minutes of playing with it and using some lubricant, i was able to slide the key in and out freely, as i have always been able to do and would start the car fine. A few times the key did not want to go back in and i had to try a few more times to get it to work.

I have come to assume that the part in question would be the ignition switch, and not the tumbler itself. Working at a shop, a switch is less than $25 at cost, but I still want to make sure I know this is what is wrong for sure so I don't have to do the job twice. Looking at our local parts supplier, South San Fransisco (SSF), they also have a listing for an updated Lock Assembly w/ Switch. Does anyone have any idea why I would do this?

Part Numbers:
996 347 017 05 (OEM Option #1)
996 347 017 06 (OEM Option #2)
996 347 017 07 (Aftermarket/ Retrofit Option)

All input is highly appriciated! Thanks guys
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote