View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
I started out with an interior that was black and void of color. While most would enjoy it, I needed color. So off to Autozone and picked up several cans of DupliColor (yes I used spray paint but with regular painting techniques). Several cans of silver and Acrylic Lacquer later I have an interior I'm proud to call my own. I still need to get the vents and little strip painted….most people have looked at it and cannot tell it is spray paint!

I put on 5 coats of color and 6 coats of lacquer. There are a couple tricks to doing this I am happy to share….take your time and prep BEFORE painting. Sand off the coating starting at 100 grit and move up to 400 grit wet sand. Then, use rubbing or isopropyl alcohol and DO NOT TOUCH PRIOR TO PAINTING. The first coat has to be LIGHT! Subsequent coats can be thicker but do not put too much or you will get the runs!

Give time to dry between coats (like 30 mins) and re-sand with 1500 grit, alcohol and spray the lacquer (which takes longer between coats to dry) and then put it up and LET IT DRY FOR A WEEK!!! The paint has to cure. The hardest part was not putting the parts in right away and driving around with the console out!

Then, a week later, buff out with some rubbing compound and then wax. You will be able to see yourself. Do not forget to wax inside when you are doing the outside of your car.

It is easy to match color and gives the car a more modern look.
Attached Images