Thread: Boxster wrecked
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
ranbar2

Boxster wrecked

The attached pictures do not tell the whole story. I was in the left lane of a 4 lane (2 in each direction) road going west, the car that hit me was travelling east. She crossed the centerline about 50 - 75 feet in front of me. I swerved to the right but she bore right into me. I had been going about 45, but was swerving and applying brakes so certainly was slower at impact. I must have shifted into neutral at some point because the car was out of gear when I came to rest. Or maybe the impact popped it out of gear. Airbags did NOT deploy.

The other car ended up doing a 180 and came to rest about 100 feet to the west and on the other side of the road. It was a miracle that no one else hit her as she was rolling slowly across the lanes of traffic. Luckily both my wife and I appeared to be unhurt; no cuts or broken bones. However, she was complaining of neck and back pain so the EMT's recommended that she go to the hospital. The police officer took my info, called AAA for me and I went off with my wife in the ambulance. (I know I broke all the "insurance rules" and left my car and the scene without getting all of the other drivers information, but, as much as I love my car, there is nothing on this earth that is more important than my wife.)

Luckily, x-rays were negative. We are both sore and still a bit shaken, but the wonder of percoset is taking the edge off for now. The police office called me last night at 3:00 to let me know where the car was (I took the pictures this morning through the fence of the lot). He also informed me that the other driver was ok, did not speak english, was not under the influence, did have insurance (hooray) and is apparently just a very bad driver. Her airbags did deploy. Luckily several witnesses testified to the fact that she indeed crossed the centerline, although the skid from her car (which only started at impact) clearly indicated where she hit me.

A couple of thoughts. First, this was not a low impact collision. Yet it is clear that while the car is damaged, it took the brunt of impact quite well. My top was down at the time and the officer recommended that I put it back up (which, in my shaken condition, I did, although I probably shouldn't have). The top operated smoothly and lined up perfectly. Moreover, in the cockpit, the only indication that something was amiss was a cd case that shattered. And most importantly, my wife and I suffered no external injuries. Frankly, given the speed and angle of the impact, I would have expected alot more damage, both to the car and to us. Kudos to the structual safety design of the car. However, I am a bit concerned that the airbags did not deploy.

Finally, I still am trying to work out the physics of the accident. She hit me head on from her perspective. Yet somehow her car spun and headed back in a southwesterly direction. I just don't understand how that could have happened.

Anyway, I now await the call from my adjuster. I will push to declare it totaled. I cannot believe that the frame is not out of alignment (despite the top aligning) and the front axle looks to have severe damage, not to mention the entire front end, suspension, etc.... Clearly the car will never be the same. Any advice on the insurance front will certainly be appreciated.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote