View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
Spinnaker

Gooey seals

Never received a response from the weather strip company, so I searched their catalog and found something that I thought might work. It is just a flat foam material with adhesive on one side. The catalog list it as ¼" thick, but the stuff that came was 3/16" thick which is just right. The original seal is about 3/16" wide. I bought 6 feet of it since the old seal is 31" long, but it turned out that I only needed to get 3 feet. The new seal material is 1" wide, which is too wide, but I wasn't sure how much I needed to cut it down to make it work. Turns out that slicing it right down the middle at ½" wide worked out perfectly, so I only used half of what I bought. Doesn't look quite as nice as the original seal which has a rounded appearance on the exposed edge, but at least its not leaving black goo all over the fender and at a glance, or at speed, I doubt that anyone will notice the difference
Here's what I bought. Cost me $25.96 for the 6 feet, but you only need to get 3 feet. You might be able to find something similar at the hardware store, but everything I found was either too thin or too thick, or was too light a sponge.
https://dealer.steelerubber.com/Ecommerce/SpecialExtrusionDetail.aspx?IID=11289

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote