View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Perfectlap

Boxsters don't have it so bad when it comes to losing value. If you were following prices closely when the credit bubble finally exploded about 5 years ago and had the misfortune of owning a Carrera still under warranty in those days, taking a $30K-$40K bath in a single year was not at all uncommon. That's enough of a loss to buy a Boxster S outright. The Caymans and Boxsters didn't take nearly that badly a pounding because they weren't so over-priced beyond what the cash market was willing to pay once all the loans dissapeared for all but the best applicants

Today with a 991 Carrera S priced into the nosebleeds if we were to see a similar financial collapse repeated those buyers would take an even bigger bath. Think $60K in a single year. Porsche may think it's six figure car but those holding cash don't agree. They'd probably go for a Ferrari or Bentley and cross that off their bucket list before putting that kind of dough into a Porsche.

A second-hand Boxster is good value because its not priced that high into the sky to begin with. Granted you are still paying a huge premium over similar cars on laptimes from the U.S. and Japan. What the Boxsters have going against them is that it's an impractical car at a time that everyone and their sister wants a stupid SUV to bust up the roads and encourage people to drive fast (who don't know how) in cars not designed to do anything of the sort. At least the Carrera has the false appearance of having room for more than two passengers so it's not as problematic for someone who thinks their buying a Lotus Elise when they look at a Boxster. A girl once described my car as a "toy car". People have better things to do with their money these days largely because they don't have any.

p.s.
Regarding your comment about a second hand Boxster being "worth" as much as a 944. When I visit my Porsche mechanic I can be sure of usually seeing two things:
old tires against the back wall and a 944 needing work. What it costs to buy a Porsche is not what it costs to run a Porsche. Which makes the Boxster one of the best Porsche values you can buy on performance and reliability. Problem is Porsches are not the greatest values in the sports car market and its getting worse.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-25-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote