View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
IMACMAN

KEY ISSUE SOLVED ( For Me )

Hello All.... My key remote just stopped working ( locking doors & setting alarm )... the Rear trunk remote button worked fine...but not the top lock button.... I read through the posts... ( and there are alot regrarding this )... I rad to post that LOG had wrote... and decied to check the key first.... BINGO!... when I opened the key ( and do this carefully ) the small micro switch that controls the locks & alarm had come completely of the circuit board. ( be carfe=ul as if the switch is completely off as mine was you can easily loose the switch. That said here;s the solution...

THE FIX:
• Heat up the soldering Iron & get some solder... alos get some Karazy glue.
• Pry the key along the edges it will pop open
• Carefully unsnap the circuit board...it has 2 or three tabs holding it.
• Turn the Circuit board over so you can inspect the switch, Mine was complety off and fell out

• The small micro switch has two tabs that have com loose... you may have to bed the tabs up almost flat against the switch so it will fit back down into the broken solder on each side.
• After doing this "Press/test Fit" the button to see that it seats well on the Circuit board. The small black dot in the center is the actual button, this should be facing up as you solder.
• Next take a a single drop of crazy glue and put it on the underside of the switch unit... the side that will touch the circuit board... this will hold the micro switch in it's proper place while you get your soldering iron ready. No glue will make it very hard to solder the microswitch in place... Gled in place makes it easy, and is another bonded point More = Good here

• Clean the Soldering Iron top, on a sponge... then you must heat both the Broken Tab and the table part left in the board... with a hot iron this will take maybe 3 seconds... you may see the original solder reflow... that mey be enough,,, if not ad a small drop of solder to the tabs and join them back to the board. repeat for both Tabs.... don't put too much solder on as it will run and cause issues by short circuiting other components... a tiny dab on each tab is good.

• Finally when putting it back together... you must insert the Circuit borad into the smaller key cover piece there are a few snap tabs that it fits into and snaps on. Next put the key together and make sure it is fully snapped.

When I first tried it.. the light came on the key for both the trunk release and the door lock..... I went out to the car and tried to lock the car with the key.... but it would not lock, even though the red lights were all flashing as is normal... So... I pressed the trunkmopen button on the key and that worked. I closed the trunk, and then tried the Lock Doors/ set alarm button and Voila it worked... heard the locks mannually lock then waited and wayched the tail lights flash twice.... Now a Happy 986 owner...

Hope this helps similar situations.

BTW..... found out that when the car is closed... if you out the key in the door, and turn it to the left & hold it... it it will roll down the windows about an 3 inches.... great time saver on a hot day. The can be rolled up the same way.......

PS... poured rain here today, and discovered that the 986 has intermitant wipers... If You push the switch down... I don't think you can control the frequency of the "wiper speeed /motion... but good to know it's there)

Cheers

IMACMAN
IMACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote