View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
saphriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by my89_928gt
I was woundering if this has ever happend to anybody.
I was driving along at no more than 30mph(road was wet but no standing water and new tires just about) the car just very agresively started spinning. Back end just shot out around me like a rocket. I felt a change in the spinning after about the first spin(it up set the car, no pun intended) I think I spun around 3 times before slaming into a large curb on the other side of the road and stoped with 3 wheels off the road.
At least I had the road to myself.
No body damage. Right rear wheel has several cracks, and it's turned in a lot, right side radiator is leaking. Thats all I can see.
Had it towed to the dealer.

Richard
97 Boxster 5sp black 94,000 miles
with carbon fiber hood, deck lid, and air scops
Hi Richard,
Sorry to hear about your accident (hope you weren't hurt). A similar scenario happened to me just 2 weeks ago. I was decelerating into a descending radius hairpin at 70 km/h (~42 mph). Classic lift-throttle oversteer in my case, but it was far too fast to catch. I ended up spinning 180 degrees (embarrasing...but fortunately no incoming traffic, and I didn't hit anything).
Now, I know the Boxster can go into this turn without a problem (my fastest was 110 km/h ~66 mph). Brought it to the shop and discovered that for the last month BOTH my rear shocks had been long dead already. Big lesson I learned: do get your suspension checked...
The boxster is an awesome handler but it's heart and soul are in its chassis and suspension. My little misadventure taught that well enough.

So now I'm driving on eggshells whilst waiting for the shocks to come. I've decided to lower the car as well (so the H&R's have been ordered as well). Can't wait!

Regards,
-Joe
saphriel is offline   Reply With Quote