View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
vijen6

Autocross lap timer

2 question for you seasoned AX folks:

1. How come there's only one timer at the end of the course ?

I was reviewing some of my videos from my last AX and I realized that while my time dropped down lap after lap ( most of the time anyways ) simply from learning and getting used to the course, not from any major improvement in skill. Technique improvement ( if any at all ) have been slow. IMO, part of the problem is the general lack of granular data in an AX environment.

Its hard to train yourself to be 'faster' when you don't know what you're doing right / wrong. Instructor help to a degree, but its still up to you to figure it out. For me, data makes figuring things out much easier.

For example, with AX there's no way to know things like .. last lap I ran .25 second faster than my best previous time because I gained .5 second in turn 2 but lost .25 second on turn 5 .. next lap if I do the same thing on turn 2 but change it up for turn 5, I should be even faster.

Instead, I only get a time slip at the end of each run which only gives a very generic idea of my overall performance.

IMO, if instead of just the one timer at the finish line, setup more timer so we can get a time for each 'section' of the course.

Has something like this ever been done ? If not, is the problem cost ? Unavailable technology ? Too much hassle to setup ?

2. I'm considering a GPS lap timer like the Ultra XT GPX to solve this issue for me. Its pricey but I'll use it for my bike track days also .. so I'll save the $40 rental fee .. and it should pay for itself in 20 days .. LOL

Anyone have experience with the GPX or a something else that works for this purpose ?

Thanks!

Last edited by vijen6; 06-04-2012 at 10:51 PM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote