View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I have to agree with what others are saying about tires and your learning. I would not personally buy super sticky tires for my car until I felt I really needed them. Tires like that will, as my autocross instructor from this weekend put it to me, "hide your sins", and won't break loose on you until you're in a situation where you need to be damn good to recover and also stay on the tarmac. I'd rather have good summer tires that will be grippy without making me think I'm gonna give Schumacher a run for his money. Better to get good at learning how the car is when mostly stock since you've only changed the springs, and then get better tires when you start outperforming the street ones.

Another thing with those extremely sticky tires is you'll likely be pulling more g-forces than the car can handle in stock form, and given that our engines already get just enough lubrication to survive (despite 9 friggin' quarts of oil), you don't want to create a situation where you'll starve parts of the engine of oil from hard cornering. I know how you feel about not wanting to pay to replace synchros, and this would hit your wallet in an even bigger way.

It was also heavily recommended to me by more than one person on this forum to get the underdrive pulley upgrade done before going on the track to prevent boiling over the power steering fluid, and I think it makes sense to invest the money into that for what it helps to prevent. So it looks like Lime Rock will have wait a little bit longer before I get on it. I also want to do more to cool the car, like the 3rd radiator and an S bumper, lo-temp thermostat, water pump replacement, and S oil cooler. After all that, and a set of wheels with good summer tires, I'll be going to the track for sure with a lot less concern for the car's ability to get me to the track, on the track, and back home.

I haven't checked out your video yet, not that I'll be able to give you any advice...I'll just be watching for the cool factor of someone I sorta know who got to run on a track, and be jealous.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote