View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Frodo

Broken oddments tray hinge

The hinge on my oddments tray cover broke, which I guess is not unusual. This happened at least a year ago, and I finally got around to ordering the replacement metal hinge, w/ pop rivets and U-brackets. The Technical Information instruction sheet that came with it indicates "911 (996)" but I assume that the part is usable on a 986. (Right?) It looks like it should be compatible.

The unfortunate part is that I started this quite awhile ago, then got sidetracked and didn't finish (ALWAYS a mistake). Now I've somewhat lost track of the original configuration.

Here's my situation right now:

The TI sheet describes removing a "rebound strap from the lower section of the cover by unscrewing both the fastening screws" and then removing the "strap retaining bracket". I don't know what this refers to. A pic from a RennTech DIY (which I'm pretty sure did NOT involve a Boxster):

Is the rebound strap they refer to that black nylon strap shown just behind the hinge? What's its function---to help stabilize the cover? Do Boxsters have this? I don't recall removing one, but clearly I don't have one on there at this point.

Another question has to do with removing the console itself to do this project. A couple posters on the RennTech thread said they didn't need to. My initial impression is that there really shouldn't be any need. Has anyone here done this without removing the console? If so, did they have any problems??
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote