View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
986_c6

Driving position is key, the first thing I do with all of my students is "pull the seat forward, and seatback very vertical" (picture any race driver, i.e. Nascar, F1, Indy, Rally, etc and they are almost hugging the steering wheel).

+1 with waiting on tire upgrades, etc. Learn to drive the car with stock suspension/brakes/tires, and when you are the fastest guy compared to everyone with the "goodies," then upgrade. This will usu take you 1-2 years of good seat time (once/mo probably).

Personally, I didn't move up to R-compound tires well into my 4-5 year of tracking, and for me, there wasn't a huge difference between say the Goodyear EAGLE EMT and Toyo R888. You hear of folks saying, "Wow, a huge difference once I switched tires, 6-7 seconds off of my lap times!" Well, truth is they didn't really LEARN how to drive their cars properly yet. Wring out what you have first, then the upgrades will really pay off.

Btw, you really need to get with PCA or any other club for that matter (and there are lots of them), that offer ~5 20-25 mins sessions/day, along with full time instructor sitting next to you for ~same amount that you paid.

Just my $.02. Hope this helps.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote