View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
As has been advised in the past, buy the youngest model you can afford, and get an S if you can. 09+ makes the IMS a non-issue, and as long as you maintain the car well and take certain preventative measures, any older ones can live a long and enjoyable life.

I was pretty fretful when I first got the car and learned about the IMS issue and other failure points after getting it. I've basically done away with that and intend to just take care of the car and enjoy it thoroughly, making sure I let it stretch its legs frequently. You're not supposed to gain stress from the things you spend your money on that you want to enjoy. Find one you like, try to go for a certified pre-owned one if you can so you get a warranty, and get a pre-purchase inspection by a professional, independent mechanic who knows Porsches. It's homework that costs money, but it's worth it.

If the cars were really tha bad, honestly this forum would not be active, it would just be an archive of issues, problems, and fixes. Just talk to Jäger, one of our members who is somewhere around the 250k mile mark with his Boxster, daily driven, road tripped frequently, and simply maintained regularly.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote