View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
ProjectM96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
I agree with Pedro that it's difficult to judge without seeing your feet and hands. BUT... There were several (quite a few) places where it sounded like you were off the gas in the corner...ie coasting. (I can't really tell from the video but that's what it sounded like anyway) If you were doing that, DON'T. That is a big no no and will become quite dangerous once you get a little faster. Other things were apparent, but since this was your first outing, it looked pretty good. Yes you were braking too early (the brakes on our cars are incredible...use them) Yes you were not hitting the apexes (but not THAT bad for a first timer) Yes you were late in accelerating from the apex (simply a lack of experence in knowing where the apex is probably) All those are typical first timer mistakes, all of which I would expect from a first time driver. No big deal really. A good teacher will help you correct them in short order.

I'm surprised your instructor didn't answer your questions while you were there. You have the same questions almost all newbies have, which is why I always make it a point to hang around Saturday and Sunday afternoon and just talk to my students if they want to. We also talk about what they're doing after every session and what I want them to think about between sessions and work on during the next one. Your goal initially should be smoothness (heck your goal forever should be that) and hitting the lines...speed will come once you have those at least somewhat under control.

I gather from your other post, that you didn't have an instructor for the entire weekend. That's too bad. Learning on your own is virtually impossible, and more than a little dangerous as you gain confidence and pick up some speed. As someone else said, you should try to get to a PCA event and have a certified instructor sit with you all weekend. It's fun, it's safe, and you'll be amazed at how quickly you progress.

Oh yes..and about that Cayman S you got a ride in...don't even think of trying to keep up with him. More hp, track tires, probably a lot more experience. I bet that ride was a blast!!!

Have fun, be safe

Bob
Yeah the instructor was only with me for 3 laps. But he told me to hit those apex's before he left and he told me when to brake and turn in(there were also cones and signs on the side of the track to tell you when to do that). I was trying but I still need practice. I drove for 35-38 minutes total. The rest of the track time was for the intermediate, advanced, and pro groups.