View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
ProjectM96

My First Track Day

This track day was at the Thunderbolt track in Millville, NJ

I was put in the novice category with the other member guests and beginner members.
No passing was allowed but all the cars in the novice category had at least 80HP on me so I had my hands full trying to keep up.

In the first few laps, we had no instruction on what lines to follow, when to brake, or when to accelerate. They just told us about what the flags mean and how to enter the pits. The first car had to try to keep up with the Subaru STI pace car and every car behind had to just keep up.

Here is my first lap on a race track. A slow time of 2:26.
My First Track Day: Part 1 - Boxster Chasing Ferrari - YouTube

After the first few laps, we had an instructor ride along for another 3 laps where they taught us what lines to follow, when to brake, and when to accelerate. Then we had an hour long meeting teaching us more about the track, heel toe shifting, and how ABS works versus no ABS braking.

Here is my second try. My camera recorded 4 laps then the battery died so I did not get to record the times in my remaining 5 laps. But I know I shaved off at least 33 seconds from my first lap to the last recorded lap. 1:53 is my best recorded time.
First Track Day: Part 2 - Boxster Chasing Audi R8 - YouTube

I assume I shaved off at least another 5 seconds in the last 5 laps.

Pics of rare expensive Porsche's and other great cars at the track day.
NJMS Thunderbolt Track Day - a set on Flickr

I was impressed by what my little Boxster can do. I was making those sharp turns at 50-60mph and no tire squeal. I reached 105-110mph on the straights. I am guessing I averaged 75-80mph around this track. 90% of the track was in 3rd gear. I switched to 4th once or twice on the straightaway.

Last edited by ProjectM96; 05-20-2012 at 09:58 AM.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote