View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
san rensho

Flush the brake fluid.

Check the power steering fluid before the event and during lunch the day of the event. Overheating of the PS pump is a classic failure, caused by puking of PS fluid during high rev operation.

This recommendation is controversial but overfill the oil by 1/2 quart. I did this with absolutely no adverse effects at my first and only DE. Oil starvation is a real problem with these cars, which can lead to catastrophic engine failure. What happens is the scavenge pumps in the heads can't get rid of all the oil that accumulates in them, especially on left hand turns after hard braking, and the result is the oil pickup tube sucks air. Worse case scenario with overfilling with oil is you will overwhelm the AOS and you willl blow a big plume of smoke. If that happens, then if it were me, I just would go home. But I'd rather have a plume of smoke than a blown motor.

When you get the checkered flag, put it in 4th gear and go to the pits very slowly, without using the brakes. When you get to the pits, DO NOT put the parking brake on because the PB pads with weld to the hot drum, and idle the car for about 5 minutes to let the oil drain back into the sump and to cool down the motor. This will help prevent smoking when you start the car again.

Aim for hot tire pressures in the middle 30's. Run even pressures front and rear, the recommended stagger of 7 PSI lower pressure in the front is to induce understeer, which is precisely what you DON'T want on the track.

Get everything out of the car, stuff will fly around at speed. Floor mats, everything in the trunk and frunk, but leave the spare, it will help in case of a front end crash.

Have fun. Its really awesome seeing how fast our cars can go around corners.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000

Last edited by san rensho; 05-11-2012 at 01:06 PM.
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote