View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I am going to try your number 3. How abrupt did he have you unwind?

High speed straight entry into a sweepers are still something I find hard to push and judge towards full capability of the car...still hesitant. What were his cues there?

I have been driving a jeep all winter so I am going to do some karting in the hope that it will tune me up a bit
The instructor had me unwind very quick as in "back to center NOW!" and I'd pull it right back to center. He did this so I could get the feel for how much quicker the car would accelerate without the front wheels turned. It made a big difference but I wouldn't recommend driving this way regularly, the goal was to get me to understqand the importance of unwinding quickly yet you still want to keep the car balanced. Quick and smooth.

The cue to rolling into a sweeper faster was to relax, trust the car, look farther ahead to smooth out the arc, and have confidence that if it starts to slide you know what to do to catch it - so catch it and drive it away. I just kept pushing faster until I found the limit, caught it and drove it away. With that under my belt, we worked on keeping the car right on the limit through the sweeper.

Karting is a good way to keep your reflexes sharp and to feel where the kart's going but it can't substitute for track time because cars really don't handle exactly like a kart. But compared to a Jeep, yes it will definitely help!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-04-2012 at 12:28 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote