View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #16
MNBoxster

Hi,

Dealer Invoice in no way is an indication of how much the Dealer actually paid for the car.

You need to find out if there are any other Dealer Incentives. Dealer Incentives are Factory-to-Dealer incentives that reduce the Dealer's true cost to buy the vehicle from the Factory. These can include Factory Hold-backs (money charged initially to the Dealer and Held Back and returned to the Dealer for any sold cars at a later time, usually quarterly. Advertising Incentives (these are monies sent to the Dealers from the Manufacturers to reimburse advertising costs - These effectively lower the cost/unit to the Dealer for selling the cars, effectively increasing their profits (or effectively lowering the price the Dealer pays for a car). Some Incentives are for Dealer competitions - These incentives can touch off competition among Dealers to move slower-selling stock. Each of these means that the Dealer can actually sell you the car for as much as 20% off invoice and still make a profit.

Now is the worst time of the year to buy a car. The new models are out and there are plenty of buyers. Why do you think new models are introduced in October? Because this is a time where people typically don't have other seasonal expenses such as Summer Vacations, Christmas expenses and such - it's the time of year when people in general have the most disposable income.

The 2 best times of year to buy a car are the 2 weeks before Christmas (because people aren't buying cars, they're buying Xmas gifts) and Aug.-Sep. as Dealers make room for the new models.

If I were you, I'd wait another 60-65 days and you'll be able to drive a harder bargain. But, YOU will have to drive the Bargain - don't expect the Dealer to just hand the car over.

One method I have used successfully, repeatedly, over the years is to research the car I want, get my finances in order, and then contact 5 dealers up to 200 mi. away. I let each know whom I have contacted and offer the invoice price of the car and options minus 20%. I tell them I will buy from the 1st Dealer to respond. To date, I have never had a deal refused or ever had a positive reply take less than 48 Hrs.
Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote