View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #78
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
As an 11-year owner of Miatas (94-'04)and lover of same, I have to disagree. While the Miata can be great fun and was a pretty good handler when it came out in '89, the world moved forward and Mazda stayed still in both power and handling for 15 years, then made a small jump forward in each 7 years ago. As a result, recent comparos like the annual C&D Lightning Lap reveal the Miata's lap times to be slower than many of the front-drive economy sedans that have been tested. Yes, the car is still fun, like an MG-TD can be fun, but in any objective sense it has slipped to merely mediocre.

EDIT: I just saw your edited statement about suspension sophistication. Yes, theoretically the double-wishbone design of all generations of Miata has characteristics that make it better than strut-type suspensions. But execution is even more important than theory, and in this regard, at least U.S.-spec Miatas have too many compromised features to qualify as well-executed. (Of course, modified suspensions serve to reveal what a good platform the Miata offers, but any car can be modified, including Porsches. I'm talking what you get at the dealer.)
OK, the Miata's power is mediocre if you think you need to be down the 1/4 mile in less than 14 seconds for a car to be fun. The whole point is that lap times don't matter in the real world.

As far as suspension execution, the Miata may be a little soft stock, but a car that's got some very elemental suspension modifications can be hard to beat for fun to drive.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote